A couple of days ago I tried out a new recipe, a vegan wrap filled with all kinds of delicious stuff! Can’t even how good it was! And so filling. As I am terrible at cooking (but I’m learning!) I didn’t follow the recipe fully, and skipped some of the ingredients. But I will definitely be doing this again!
Recipe for one person, double ingredients for two.
240g chickpeas (drained)
1 romaine lettuce
200g cauli rice
4 spring onions
30g flaked almonds (nuts)
Handful of cherry tomatoes
200ml coconut milk
1 tsp chilli paste (I skipped the chilli)
Handful of fresh coriander
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan. Slice half of the spring onions and add to pan. Lightly fry until they begin to soften. Drain and add the chickpeas, season with sea salt and black pepper, and sauté for 1-2 mins.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and add to pan, pour over the coconut milk, chilli paste plus one 1 tbsp of water, season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 10-15 mins until the tomatoes soften and the sauce reduces
- Add half of the coriander leaves to the pan, stir to combine and remove from heat. Let it cool for at least 5 mins before serving.
- Heat a separate saucepan and add the cauli-rice with 1 tbsp water. Cook for 5 mins on a low-medium heat, stirring regularly. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Zest the lemon. Finely chop remaining spring onions and coriander (reserving 1 tbsp for garnish) before adding to the bowl with the lemon zest, juice and a generous pinch of sea salt. Stir through the flaked almonds. Set aside until needed.
- Cut the stalk off the romaine lettuce. To assemble the wraps, layer over a generous amount of cauli-rice on each lettuce leaf and top with a spoonful of the chickpeas. Finish with a smattering of coriander.
Like I said, I didn’t follow the recipe fully. After the rice was done I mixed everything in the pan, and then filled the lettuce, and I think I pretty much skipped all of step 5. Anyway, it turned out great and I will for sure be doing it again!